Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Nicole Neal-Nolan Named The Arc's Volunteer of The Quarter

Nicole Neal-Nolan volunteered as a GCC Intern in our Rainbow Preschool site from January through May 2012.  She was nominated and awarded “Volunteer of the Quarter” for January through March 2012.  Nicole quickly became an asset to both the morning and afternoon sessions containing primarily two, three, and four year olds with a variety of special needs.  During her internship, Nicole presented herself as someone who thoroughly enjoyed and valued her time in the classroom.  While working closely with the classroom staff, we found Nicole to be eager to help, willing to learn, and effective with the children.  She displayed an energetic and positive attitude.   Nicole truly seemed to appreciate the children as the beautiful and unique individuals that they are.   Arriving before the children and staying after they left, Nicole became acquainted with the behind the scenes planning, preparation, cleaning, and organization involved in a Rainbow classroom.  She also gave input towards daily data collection on the children’s goals, relaying information about her experiences and the children’s progress at the end of each day.  As a result of her placement, Nicole has taken an interest in learning sign language and has already accumulated a growing repertoire. 

It has been a pleasure to have Nicole intern at Rainbow Preschool!

What are you studying at GCC:  Human Services

When will you graduate from GCC and what are your plans after:  I have one more semester to go at GCC and then I will be going on for my Bachelor’s Degree.

Born: Rochester

What’s on my TV:  Whatever my three year old Peyton likes to watch - Cartoon Network, My Little Ponies, etc.

Favorite movie:  Broken Bridges

In my car you’ll find me listening to:  Country music

I would like to trade places for a day with:  My daughter Peyton

Favorite hobby:  Crafts

Favorite vacation spot:  We like to go camping.

Favorite time of day and why:  Naptime, it’s nice and quiet.

Favorite meal:  Pizza

Favorite junk food:  Three Musketeer’s candy bar.

My secret talent:  I am a licensed beautician.

On the weekend you can find me:  At home watching children.

What I admire most in others:  Personality

If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be and why?  I would have dinner alone with my husband.  We never have time alone together since our daughter was born.

What I would say to a potential volunteer about The Arc and the people we serve:  Be kind to others and it will come back to you.  It is wonderful to make a connection with the individuals served by The Arc. 

Special Memory or moment:  The children at Rainbow Preschool were a joy to work with and so fun.  It was so rewarding to make a connection with the children.

Thank you again Nicole for all your hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment